Saturday 3 March 2012

27 February 1845. Browning, Elizabeth Barrett to Browning, Robert. :: The Browning Letters

27 February 1845. Browning, Elizabeth Barrett to Browning, Robert. :: The Browning Letters

50 Wimpole Street  Feb. 27. 1845.  Yes, but, dear Mr Browning, I want the spring according to the new ‘style’ (mine) & not the old one of you & the rest of the poets. To me unhappily, the snowdrop is much the same as the snow-it feels as cold underfoot: and I have grown sceptical about “the voice of the turtle,” the east winds blow so loud. April is a Parthian with a dart-& May (at least the early part of it) a spy in the camp- That is my idea of what you call spring,-mine, in the new style! A little later comes my spring,-and indeed after such severe weather, from which I have just escaped with my life, I may thank it for coming at all. How happy you are, to be able to listen to the “birds,” without the commentary of the east wind; which, like other commentaries, spoils the music. And how happy I am to listen to you; when you write such kind openhearted letters to me!- I am delighted to hear all you say to me of yourself.....

No comments: