Friday 9 December 2011

Marriage Amendment - a judge's tale | StarTribune.com

Marriage Amendment - a judge's tale | StarTribune.com: "But today I am writing about a voice mail from a south Minneapolis woman named Liz. In a quiet voice, she said that neither she nor her partner of 12 years, Jeanne, could ask a Minnesota judge for a deathbed wedding.

Same-sex weddings are barred, and a 2012 ballot measure could amend the Minnesota Constitution to keep such weddings illegal for generations.

Judges usually don't comment in newspapers about legal matters; we have engrained habits of judicial reserve and modesty. I am writing, however, not about the law, but about love, family and understanding.

I think of Elie Wiesel, the author and Holocaust survivor, who wrote, "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference."

I know a little about justice. I've labored in the trenches of justice, as a lawyer or judge, for more than 33 years."

'via Blog this'

No comments: